Bénin – Burkina Faso – Côte d’Ivoire – Ghana- Mali - Togo
The Volta Basin Authority (VBA) invites applications from suitably qualified nationals of the riparian countries of the Volta basin for consideration to be appointed to the position of DEPUTY EXECUTIVE DIRECTOR
The Volta is a transboundary river, which drains an area of about 400,000 km2 and is shared by six countries (Benin, Burkina Faso, Cote d’Ivoire, Ghana, Mali and Togo) that are dependent on its natural resources for their development. To institute measures for sustainable transboundary water resources management, the VBA was established by the Governments of the six riparian countries with the headquarters in Ouagadougou, Burkina Faso and a mandate to:
- Promote permanent consultation tools among the parties for the development of the basin;
- ii. Promote the implementation of integrated water resources management and the equitable distribution of the benefits resulting from their various utilizations;
- iii. Authorize the development of infrastructure and projects planned by the stakeholders and which could have substantial impact on the water resources of the basin;
- iv. Develop joint projects and works;
- Contribute to poverty alleviation, the sustainable development of the Parties in the Volta basin, and for better socioeconomic integration in the sub-region.
2. MAJOR RESPONSIBILITIES
In general the Deputy Executive Director shall supervise activities concerning development and implementation of projects and programmes of the Authority and shall ensure the effective management of the Authority in the absence of the Executive Director.
Specifically, he shall:
- Initiate and lead the development, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of development project or programme of the VBA;
- Participate in negotiations on funding and implementation of projects and programmes of VBA;
- Draft annual activity reports on implementation of projects and programmes for the attention of the Executive Director;
- Collaborate with relevant departments in the monitoring and evaluation of the implementation of water management programmes in the Volta basin
- Deputize for the Executive Director.
3. QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
The candidate shall have:
- At least a Masters degree in engineering in Water Resources Management,
Civil or Environmental Engineering or equivalent;
- Additional training or qualification in Water Resources Management or
Projects Development and Management will be an advantage;
- At least 12 years of relevant professional experience in Water and Environmental Resources Management 5 of which should be in a managerial position;
- Good communication and negotiation skills and ability to lead a multidisciplinary team and work with partners;
- Good command of either French or English and ability to speak the other.
4. Mode of Application
Interested candidates should submit an application comprising:
- Application letter addressed to the VBA President of the Council of Ministers;
- Birth certificate or any other document serving such purpose;
- Report of court of justice not more than three months old;
- Certified true copies of titles, degrees, diplomas and qualifications;
- Two passport-size photos;
- Copy of citizenship or any other relevant document serving such purpose;
- Recent curriculum vitae indicating the names and addresses of 3 referees and certified true by the applicant.
Applications should be submitted not later than (3 months from date of advertisement) to:
The Chairman of the VBA Council of Ministers through one the following:
- By email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- By post: Ministère de l’Energie, de l’Eau et des Mines, 04 BP 1412 Cotonou, Benin
- By direct deposition at: Ministère de l’Energie, de l’Eau et des Mines, Avenue Jean Paul II, Cotonou, Benin
Tel. +229 21312906 / 21312924 / 21312938
A copy of the application shall be submitted in sealed envelope to the VBA National Focal Point in the country of origin or residence of the candidate at one of the following addresses:
- By email: email@example.com
- By post: The VBA National Focal Point, Water Resources Commission, P. O. Box CT 5630 Cantonments, Accra, Ghana
- By direct deposition at: The VBA National Focal Point, Water Resources Commission, No. E4 Leshie Crescent, Labone Estates, Accra, Ghana.
Tel: +233 302 763651 / 765860
NB: The Terms of Reference are available at the Ministry for Energy, Water and Mines of Benin, in the Ministries in charge of Water of the other VBA Member States and on the VBA web site: www.abv-volta.org
This entry was posted on March 16, 2015